Extra Extra!!
Today's top story, the Graham family leaps one step closer to bringing Lucy home. Tonight as I write Lucy lays sleeping in a crib by our bed in the hotel room. This morning we were rushed through a 15 minute "experience" at the justice department of Ho Chi Min City. A few hours later found us buying case loads of diapers and baby formula with donated funds from our friends at home (thank you Holladay 27th Ward friends!). Then it was a race to the orphanage, where more papers were signed, pictures hurriedly snapped and rushing to and fro as we were told Lucy would come home with us for good. I've done fairly well these last several days in keeping a smile on my face and the tears out of my eyes when we've left Lucy behind at the end of our orphanage visits. Today, I couldn't help but shed a few tears of joy and reverence as we waited one last day at the screen door of Lucy's room for the nannies to let us in. One of them realized we were leaving, and scooped Lucy into her arms and away to change her clothes and diaper, one last time. Out she came, in the pretty pink outfit that they'd saved just for this occasion. Things were so rushed, the goodbye's so short. I kissed each nanny and hugged them tightly. We blew kisses to the babies too, especially little Quoc, the baby boy who so dearly loved Mason. I couldn't help but wish he was coming too-and he knew something was up. He cried for Mason to take him out of his crib, which made the parting that much more poignent. After kisses and hugs it was down the stairs and into the sunlight. It was like a dream, a good dream where everyone lives happily ever after.
We were back to our hotel room by 3:30 or 4 p.m.-showing the baby to all the hotel staff, especially the two housekeepers who come each day to tidy up for us. They were surprised and happy to see our "new addition" and were very helpful in rounding up another set of sheets for the baby bed our facilitator bought for us (love you Lien!). Then it was time for Lucy's first bath, followed by a scabbies treatment. We ordered in for dinner and just basked in the truth that we have another family member here with us tonight. I so wish our other kids could somehow be with us this night. Together at last as a complete family. Soon, we hope, it will happen-all my 6 Grahams with John and me under the same roof.
Now that these first hurdles are jumped we have new ones to clear. We still wait for an appointment time for the "giving and recieving" ceremony. After that we pursue steps to obtain an immigration visa for our little beauty. Then, finally we'll be headed home. Who knows how much longer this will take, but tonight we are one very large step closer. Good night from Vietnam. We will enjoy pleasant dreams...

3 Comments:
What a great day!!! You have Lucy with you now ... I can't wait to share your news with the RS ladies on Sunday. Yahoo! love, Chari
If I had a couple extra thousand hanging around I would take Masons little friend in a heart beat! We should always remember and pray for him that he will have a loving family too someday!
We are so happy and hope everything else moves quickly. What a whirlwind. I wish you could bring one of those dark eyed little girls home for us. We are excited to meet Lucy.
We love you guys. love Jody
Post a Comment
<< Home